Postdoctoral Positions in Astrophysics
Instituto de Radioastronomia y Astrofisica, UNAM
There are two periods for applications:
- Applications by 14th February 2021 for a September 2021 start date
- Applications by 20th July 2021 for a March 2022 start date
Dr. Gustavo Bruzual, Academic Secretary
Tel: +52 443 322 27 95
Fax: +52 443 322 27 26
More information and details:
Convocatoria DGAPA (Spanish)
Application form (Spanish)
Application form (English)
Operating Rules (Spanish)
The Institute of Radio Astronomy and Astrophysics at UNAM (Universidad Nacional Autonoma de Mexico) offers a postdoctoral fellowship in any area of astrophysics, with start dates in September or March each year. The fellowship is for a maximum of two years, depending on performance in the first year.
Candidates interested in applying to the Institute for Radioastronomy and Astrophysics (IRyA) in Morelia, Michoacan, Mexico should contact Dr. Gustavo Bruzual, Academic Secretary (xm.manu.ayri@dacas). Applications should be made jointly with a faculty member at IRyA, who will be the supervising researcher of the postdoctoral project.
The IRyA has active research groups in radioastronomy, star and planet formation, extragalactic astronomy and cosmology, astrophysics of the interstellar medium, atomic and molecular astrophysics, and stellar evolution. There are extensive computing facilities on site including a purpose-built high-performance computing center. There is also a laboratory for the development of radio frequency instrumentation. The IRyA provides funds for publishing, and limited support for observing and traveling.
Interested applicants should contact Dr. Bruzual well in advance of the official deadlines mentioned above.
Before applying, candidates should ensure that they meet the minimum requirements - any application not meeting these requirements is automatically rejected.
- Have received their PhD no more than 5 years before the start date of the fellowship.
- Have a minimum of one accepted or published article in a refereed journal.
Applicants should send to Dr. Bruzual at the IRyA (xm.manu.ayri@dacas).
- A cover letter
- An abstract of their Ph.D. thesis
- A complete curriculum vitae including a full list of publications
- Two letters of recommendation
- A research project, which should be defined jointly with the researcher at the IRyA with whom the candidate intends to work. A full list of faculty and their research interests can be found via the IRyA web page (www.irya.unam.mx).
If the application is selected by the IRyA's internal council, the applicant will be required to:
- Fill in an application form
- Submit a copy of their birth certificate and PhD certificate (if available).
- Complete and sign a standard Letter of Commitment
All documents can be sent scanned in pdf format. It is not necessary to send originals.
The fellowship is tax free and includes health insurance (for self, spouse, and children).
The fellowship stipend is currently 35,000.00 MXN pesos per month (approximately 1,795.00 USD with an exchange rate 19.50 pesos/US Dollar).
The fellowships are assigned by a specialist University Committee in the natural and physical sciences, and the IRyA will be assigned one or two each semester. Applicants will be notified of the results in late April or early September.
If you accept another offering before hearing from us, please let us know.